Jump to content

Almost open: The restored Villa van Waning

Villa van Waning is a national monument from 1898 on Nijverheidsstraat on Feijenoord Island. It is the former headquarters of the Rotterdam Cement factory Van Waning. After the characteristic building fell into disrepair, the current owner reached an agreement with the municipality of Rotterdam in 2017 on its sale and redevelopment. Based on the design by IWT architects, the building was commissioned by developer New Industry to be renovated into a catering facility with surrounding terrace. It is already possible to stay overnight but the antipasti bar is expected to open in late May/early June. Featuring Italian delicacies, wines, beers and fresh drinks.

Initially, the establishment will open on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. It is also possible to hire the place for meetings, healing sessions, family, birthdays, company parties and weddings.

Innovative artificial stone

Villa van Waning was already nominated for the Rotterdam Architecture Prize in 2022. The distinctive facade of the detached building was inspired by the Jugendstil style. The fa├žade also served as a 'physical catalogue' to demonstrate that beautiful structures could be realised with the artificial stone, which was innovative for its time. The monument has special architectural and cultural-historical value and building-historical value as a reminder of the earliest phase of concrete application in the Netherlands. The mural on the north side of the building is original and served as a life-size advertisement along the Nijverheidstraat.

Want to read more news?

Read more tips, background stories and news about Rotterdam.

Cookies on the Uitagenda Rotterdam website
We use cookies to make our website and advertisements more personal and relevant. If you do not agree, we will only place functional and analytical cookies.